To the Office of the Inspector General at the United States Department of Interior
We officially request a full investigation into the management of wild horses and land use planning 6 years before the roundup, the roundup itself, feeding, veterinary care and killing of the 28 Cold Creek wild horses who had become skinny.
- Why didn’t the BLM help these federally protected wild horses get the forage they needed earlier?
- Why didn’t the BLM move the native wild horses up to areas with more forage?
- What happened to their forage?
- What about the livestock grazing permits? (see attached)
- What organizations were pushing for BLM to use PZP, a controversial EPA restricted use pesticide for “birth control”–made from slaughterhouse pig ovaries–that sterilizes after multiple use? http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/reg_actions/pending/fs_PC-176603_01-Jan-12.pdf
- Are the wild horses getting pushed out and killed as part of the New Energy Frontier–to put massive solar farms on fragile desert land and therefore impacting wildlife? https://eplanning.blm.gov/epl-front-office/projects/lup/2900/49868/54310/LV-RMP_Poster_Renewable_Energy.pdf
- Why aren’t the Cold Creek wild horses getting their fair share of the land that is for their principal but not exclusive use according to the 1971 Free Roaming Wild Horse & Burro Protection Act?
- Why is the agency appointed “appropriate management level” (AML) for wild horses so low when a genetically viable herd needs more members?
- Why is the BLM limiting access to the public to bare witness to this cruel roundup?
- Was euthanasia chosen for convenience and the bottom line, pure and simple?
- Did they look at the feed and labor involved vs adoptability and take the cheap and easy way out?
Rescues and members of the public would have helped bring the Cold Creek wild horses back to health if manpower was an issue. Adoption would have been simple once they healed because people know about them and cherish them.
Tourists from around the world, visiting Las Vegas, love the wild horses of the American West.
The BLM continues to roundup more beloved Cold Creek wild horses and we pray they will not kill any more but nurse them back to health.
The public is outraged.
We thank you for investigating into the wrongdoings surrounding the management, roundup and killing of 28 Cold Creek wild horses, provide transparency and shine the light of truth.
Read about native wild horses: http://protectmustangs.org/?page_id=562
Protect Mustangs is a nonprofit organization who protects and preserves native and wild horses.